Run Training Tip – Free Speed!
You will need two items for this: a foam roller, and a softball (preferably a 14″ or 16″ softball), or tennis ball.
Follow this quick joint-loosening/muscle activating routine to get the most from your legs before you head outdoors or hop on the treadmill.
- Sit on the ground with your legs extended in front of you.
- 15-30 seconds of sitting on the softball (or tennis ball). Place it under your left glute, and work it around your hip joint. This helps break up adhesions around your joint.
- 15-30 seconds of hamstring work. Place the softball in random spots along your left hamstrings. “Roll” over the softball from side-to-side very slightly, until you feel your hami’s move/roll beneath you.
- 30-seconds of foam rolling on your IT-Band and Quads.
- 15-seconds of “figure 4” glute stretch. (Lie on ground, crossing left foot over right knee. Raise your right leg toward you to create a stretch in your left hip joint.)
repeat steps 1-5
Now get out there and enjoy your run! =)
Sarah Wangerin – Triathlon and Cycling Coach – Licensed Massage Therapist