My Journey to Bring Enjoyment to My Running
I recently read Running Within by Jerry Lynch and have now developed my “running statement.” I have done this to build a more positive AND ENJOYABLE attitude toward running.
I have always considered myself a slow runner, but this just addresses competing against someone else. This is an attitude I need to change. I need to think about running within myself . . . for myself. It does not matter where I finish with respect to anyone else, it only matters where my personal mindset is . . . where my personal effort is . . . and how I think about that personal effort.
I want to find enjoyment in my running, and not racing against some external goal, a certain time, another runner. I enjoy walking, hiking, being outdoors. I enjoy getting my body into better physical condition. I do see how running can bring these aspects to my life, and I need to approach running as providing me a wonderful means to experience these aspects.
Positive Affirmations and Thoughts to Build Into My Mindset:
- Running is the journey I enjoy.
- Control what I can control. Change “I can’t” to “I can.” “I can” is more mental than time specific.
- Reality does not change, what changes is how I view the fact. A fact is a fact – how I look at it and how my mind perceives it are what make the difference.
- My running will build my leg strength and my conditioning.
- It takes time and practice to become an accomplished runner. Enjoy the practice each day and each run. Each run is a journey, and each journey is to be enjoyed in and of itself. I want to run for the enjoyment of running, not for the goal of winning, or the goal of hitting some specific time. As I grow in this journey, I most likely will consider my times, but this always will need to take a back seat to the enjoyment of the run itself.
- Running affords the opportunity to bring the body . . . the mind . . . and the spirit all together.
- Running provides that fresh air, an outside opportunity that conditions my moving body.
- Running is my guide to a healthier, happier life.
- RUNNING IS THE JOURNEY I ENJOY.